Thursday, December 17, 2009
Thursday, November 12, 2009
Friday, June 5, 2009
The throne room was a challenging area to paint on "Aladdin" the film. The paint we used was gouache and the technique was to block in the big areas and smooth out the paint with a badger brush while still wet. Then when it was dry we would slowly build up the lighting with dry brush technique. This helped enhance the rich colors and dramatic lighting.
Sunday, May 24, 2009
Saturday, May 23, 2009
These are a few of the what seemed endless number of signs we had to create for The Hannah game. They were fun because we got to do something graphic and they were for different areas of the game. Part of concept is also to do all the assets creation for the games.
Thursday, May 21, 2009
This is a current lunchtime sketch. It is in process and unfinished. The idea has bouced around in my thought for awhile,so I just decided to start it with the intent to finish. Lately time during lunch has been filled so all I have been able to put into this is about 2 1/2 lunches. When I finish I will post it again.
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
On Hannah the fair area needed a lot of preplanning. The basic approach was to create areas with different types of gameplay. The game area also included mini games which also needed sketches and color done for them. It made for a lot of sketching and asset creation. The approach above was the way we attacked this task.
Tuesday, May 19, 2009
This is a top down shot of the petting zoo area in the Hannah game. While working on Hannah the directors liked seeing the areas as overall concepts and then in color to give a basis for starting the game design. After these were done the work would become the basis for the models and would go thru a series of refinements and callouts to plus the concept.
Monday, May 11, 2009
On the Hannah game, I was responsible for creating images like these to help the modelers, lighters and producer to see how the game might look. I will be posting more of these in the future for there were many different areas in the game.
Saturday, May 9, 2009
On Lion King we approached a few sequences in different styles. In the "Can`t wait to be King " song area we created a colorful , playful style to show a child`s point of view. We used acrylic paint with heavy gel medium to give it a storybook illustration feel that had been created in pastel.
Sunday, April 19, 2009
Thursday, April 16, 2009
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
Tuesday, April 14, 2009
Saturday, April 11, 2009
Brother Bear had a unique style driven by plein aire painting.Xiangyuan Jie , A masterful artist and painter,was the background stylist. In the Background department we were challenged by the style and learned many lessons along the way. It hopefully made us all better painters by the time we were done. This image when completed you couldn't tell what it was. I decided to put the effects waterfall in the foreground so you could tell.
Friday, April 10, 2009
Tuesday, April 7, 2009
Saturday, April 4, 2009
Friday, April 3, 2009
When the Disney studio in Florida did Mulan it was a great education in art and perseverance. The studio began to ramp up and bring in many talented artist so we could make the movie. Also we had Hans Bacher as production designer and Ric Sluiter as art directer to challenge and lead the way to a style that looked simple but not so simple to achieve. Hans was a big on thumbnailing out ideas, color or layout. As Head of the Background Department it was my job to thumbnail out the color path of the film. The board of thumbnails I posted are from the" I`ll Make A Man Out Of You" song. In this area of the film the pacing , locations and time of day changed quickly witched required allot of studies to be done for each panel till we reached the desired effect. This was a lesson in patience to color design different ideas in the same context. I will always remember this film because of the lessons learned and the other talented people I worked with.
A little while back I got a chance to work at Blue Sky studios as a color design artist.The time I was there was awesome and the design group I worked with are talented and great people to work with. My time was cut short because of family reasons, but the time I spent there was a great experience. This is one of the color key boards I did while I was there.
The Lion King was a GREAT film to work on. For the background department is was a challenge but so rewarding to see the final result. This is a background I painted from the elephant graveyard sequence. The overall tone of this area was fun to paint with the subtle textures and colors. In the future I hope to be able to post more recent work. It just depends on when the games I`m working on are released.
Thursday, April 2, 2009
This is my first post so please forgive me for my mistakes. This image was done when I was at Disney and working on A Few Good Ghost . It was a visdev painting over a Andy Harkness layout. This was the first film the background department worked in photoshop. It was allot of fun to learn and I have been working digitally ever since. Unfortunately for Florida this was also the last picture we did in photoshop there. Disney closed the studio before we could really create the film.